The V Neck placket might the hardest working neckline in The Tunic Bible line up! We have used this adaptable style to make everything from pajamas to elaborately embellished tunics to cocktail dresses.
What differentiates this placket from our others is that it is the only Tunic Bible version that does not require a cutting line to be printed on the front bodice pattern piece. The V Neck is also the only placket which utilizes the included Back Neck Facing pattern piece. When the back neck facing and placket are sewn together at the shoulders they combine to allow a flattering style that finishes slightly lower on the back of the neck. It is a bit wider and more open in the front.
Here are the steps unique to assembly and application of the V Neck Placket. The example shown is for construction of the Inside Facing V Neck Placket.
2. With right sides together, sew V Neck Placket to Back Neck Facing at shoulders seams and press seams open.
3. Finish outside edge by turning in the seam allowance and stitching in place, or by trimming and serging the edges.
4. A dress form is helpful for this step…
With right sides together, place Placket over Bodice neckline, matching at shoulder seams and centerlines. Pin in place. (Inner raw edges will not meet – excess front and back neckline fabric will be trimmed away)
5. Baste upper edge of Facing along Placket seam line by hand or machine
6. Trim excess neckline edges of Front and Back Bodice even with upper edges of Front and Back Facing.
7. Stitch seam along basting; clip to point and trim seam allowance
8. Clip neck curves and press seam toward Facing; understitch Facing
Turn Placket to inside and press
Easy to sew and easy to embellish, this neckline is always a winner! A perfect choice for your first tunic, this collarless option is the most versatile of all the necklines in this book. The V-neck shape is well suited for nearly any fabric. The beauty of this neckline is its simplicity. Turn it inside for a clean finish or outside for a contrasting look. Give it a try and enjoy!